Day 7- Heading South to Salento (15/7/25)

 


I woke feeling better. Which was a good thing as I had been really worried about taking the bus again feeling the way I had. Lara messaged to say that the scan was all good, and the little one was wriggling around just fine. What a relief. So, off to Salento.

The bus station at Pereira is a very busy place. I walked up and down looking for the ticket booth of the bus company that I know goes to Salento. I walked past it 3 times and asked 2 different people where it was before I spotted it, right by the entrance. After another successful ticket purchased in Spanish, I boarded the bus. Well, I say bus, more of a mini-bus really. The old thing struggled up the mountain roads. After 55 minutes, we arrived in Salento. It was hot and a little humid, but my first impression was that this is one of the prettiest little towns that I have ever seen. All the building are of the colonial style, like in Villa de Leyva, but each is painted in bright colours. There are palm trees everywhere. In the main square, there is a lovely park area where you can sit in the shade, away from the hot midday sun.

Salento is just over 300 miles from the equator, and it feels it. But it is beautiful. Every direction you look, you see cloud topped mountains in the distance. It is a lovely backdrop to all of the colourful buildings.

This is clearly a popular tourist destination, so there are a good number of restaurants and cafes. The roads are full of people taking photos (me included) and I even heard a few English voices too, which really stand out when you haven’t heard your own language for a week.

I was too early to check in so I went for coffee and an empanada and relaxed in the main square.

The hotel is lovely. As I sit here on the terrace, I can look out over a huge valley, surrounded by lush green mountains. I think I chose well.

I only have 3 more days accommodation booked, so I am now thinking about the next destination after Filandia. I will do some research later. I need an early night (again) as I am off for a hike tomorrow in Valle de Cocora.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1- Travelling day (9/7/25)

Day 14- A different day in Santa Marta (22/7/25)

Day 15- Tayrona National Park (23/7/25)