Day 15- Tayrona National Park (23/7/25)
Today is the day that I got a small taste of Tayrona, the
jewel in Colombia’s crown. Covering 150 square kilometres, it is one of the
most biodiverse places on the planet. Set in the heart of the Sierra Nevada
mountains, it consists of rain forest, marshland, arid mountain peak, and white
sandy beaches. Apparently, it is one of the few places on earth where
rainforest meets the sea. Today, I got to go to one of these beaches: Bahia
Conche, or shell bay.
My original booking was to get there by catamaran, but
apparently the boat has been experiencing some engine problems. So, an
alternative sail boat was laid on.
The day consisted of a one and a half hour sail around the
coast, from where we could get an amazing view of the Sierra Nevada mountains,
falling away to the sea. There were about 12 of us in total. I chose to sit on
the front of the boat in both directions, giving me a fantastic view, but also
subjecting me to a lot of splashing from the waves as they crashed against the
side of the boat.
We moored up in the bay, just a short distance from the
shore. We were given the option to go ashore either in a small motor boat, or
we could swim. I chose the swim. The water was colder than expected at first,
but it was lovely to cool down; the weather again was very hot, but also very
humid.
Once ashore, I headed for a nice spot that I had picked out
from the boat. It was in partial shade from a tree extending out from the
forest that line the beach. My pitch marked, I went back into the sea for
another swim, my first proper swim in the Caribbean Sea. With that bucket list item ticked
off, I proceeded to just relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings and the
gentle lapping of the waves against the shore.
We had been given a food choice before leaving port, and I
opted for the grilled fish. All of the cooking was done on the boat and then
transported to the beach by the motorboat. The fish was delicious and seemed to
be the most appropriate meal for such a setting. I also bought a Pina Colada,
to wash it down with. As with all of these types of places, there were a few
vendors walking up and down the beach; there doesn’t seem to be any escape from
them.
After lunch, and another swim in the sea, we were offered
the chance to go snorkelling. I jumped at it. So, 8 of us climbed into the motorboat
and were taken out to a reef that running along the side of the bay. From there
we worked our way back to the beach. The reef had an incredible range of corals
of all types and colours. There were red and blue round corals that had a maze
type pattern on them; these were my favourites. Some were in the shape of fans,
others stood up like tubes. Among them swan a variety of fish, but most notably
were the Parrot fish, with there electric blue and red stripes. Other schools
of yellow and red fish flitted in and around the corals. It was lovely to spend
time in this subterranean world. I haven’t done this since the Maldives, some
14 years ago.
Back on the beach, it was time for one last dip in the sea
before boarding the boat and returning to harbour. It was the most wonderful
day, and one that will stay in my memory for a long time.
I had a couple of beers on the quay and watched an amazing sunset.
Much better than yesterdays.
Tomorrow, I leave Santa Marta and return to Bogota. The
change in climate is going to be a shock to the system. I just need to sort out
my taxi to the airport; the Uber app is not playing ball this evening. If worst
comes to worst, I will just get a local taxi, but this would be a more expensive
option.
Comments
Post a Comment