Day 16- Farewell Santa Marta, hello again Bogota (24/7/25)
I was a little sad to leave Santa Marta. It is not the
prettiest city that I have visited but it has a certain vibe that really sat
well with me. Cartagena was too busy and clearly has been overwhelmed by
tourism, whereas Santa Marta enjoys a more laid back feel. The Caribbean
culture is not as strong but it retains an identity that is intrinsically tied
to it’s proximity to Tayrona, and it’s history as the oldest city in Colombia.
I had tried unsuccessfully to pre-book an Uber for my
journey to the airport, but I had seen that there were plenty of cars in the
area. As such, I felt comfortable in waiting until the last minute to book a
car. Sure enough, Ricardo arrived 1 minute after I had booked the car.
Ricardo, like many other taxi drivers I have met, spoke no
English. However, we managed a conversation about football. This began like so
many conversations I have had with other drivers… “de donde eres?”, “soy de inglaterra”, “Ah
Chelsea!”. The assumption that all English people Support Chelsea is
starting to grate a little. I tried to explain that West Ham is another team in
London, but he hadn’t heard of them. At traffic lights, two beautiful young
women on a motorbike pulled up next to us. I noticed his gaze and commented
that Colombian women are very beautiful, “Si! Ellas son la major en el mundo!”(they are the best in the world). I
asked him if him was married, to which he replied that he was not. I
congratulated him, he laughed, and we continued on the journey.
Santa Marta airport is right on the sea. You can sit on the
beach before entering the terminal, which is a nice touch.
By arriving back in Bogota, I have now come full circle.
This time I am staying in an area called Chapinero; it is not too far from La
Candelaria, from where I started this trip. Here it looks more like a city than
a quaint historical area like La Candelaria.
The apartment that I have booked is an Airbnb. It is
actually the apartment that I booked when I originally made my Colombia plans,
back in 2020, but then had to cancel it due to the Covid19 pandemic. So, it
feels like I have tied up a loose end, and that my trip can conclude in a state
of equilibrium. The view from the apartment is incredible. It offers a 180
degree view of Bogota from the 24th floor. It is a well presented
and cosy little place.
As much as it is nice to have your own space, and a
beautiful view, I miss being in a Hostel or Hotel, where you can meet and talk
to other people. There is something socially isolating about being in a tall
tower block.
Wandering out into Chapinero, the city was coming alive for
the night. Bars and cafes vibrated with the sound of the music. People were
starting to occupy the seats outside, despite it being something of a cold
evening. I am seeing a different side to the city this time round. La
Candelaria is quite low key in the evening, whereas Chapinero has a bit more
energy.
I am off up Cerro de Monserrate tomorrow morning. I have
arranged for the same taxi driver to take me as she gave me her contact information
and offered to take me wherever I wanted. Quite a nice upselling strategy, I
think.
Back at the apartment, the view across the city at night is
spectacular. This is clearly quite an expensive apartment. On his Airbnb
profile, Nick, the host, states that he is a financier. So, obviously not short
of a few pesos.
I am going to sit and enjoy the view for a while then get
some rest.
Comments
Post a Comment